Daisypath Anniversary Years Ticker

Wednesday, February 25, 2009

Take MY Advice!

I have decided to share with my fellow bloggers a few tips on what NOT to do when creating a King Size Denim Quilt for your husband's birthday! Granted - I feel this has been one of my greatest accomplishments because I had no clue what I was doing, nor did anyone help me, and yet I still managed to complete this before Jess' birthday (tomorrow). I amaze myself. So listed below are TEN TIPS FOR TORTUROUS SEWING (if "torture-ous" is even a word!?!)

1. Procrastination is not a good trait. DO NOT wait until 8 days BEFORE your husband's birthday before you start on an ENORMOUS project such as this.



2. Make sure you can devote every waking minute to sewing. No excuses.



3. Do NOT try to cut 300+ squares in one day, by yourself. It is not a good idea and you will SORELY regret it when the day is over. Literally - you will be sore. I am not joking.



4. Make sure you wear thumb protection, have bandages on site, and ensure that you can stand a great deal of pain in your fingers. Advil does not help. Neither do bandages, but I used 4 or 5 so I had to include that.



5. You WILL get pricked by pins over one hundred times, plan on it because it's just a given.



6. Schedule an appointment with a massage therapist as soon as your quilting project is completed. I don't care how much it costs, just do it. You will thank me deeply.

7. Plan on making no other plans BUT sewing. It is impossible to complete this task in a week's time if you have any other commitments whatsoever. This can include but is not limited to: school, house cleaning, a job, homework, a church calling, eating food, a life...... etc. Sewing will occupy all of your time.


8. It will feel as if you are a crippled 80-year old woman by the time you are done - arthritis in your hands and osteoporosis every where else.


9. Have a CLEAN-UP game plan. If you are attempting to SURPRISE your husband with this oh-so-thoughtful gift, make sure that when he calls to tell you he's on his way home from work, and will be there in five minutes, you have the time to put EVERYTHING away immediately!!!


10. Remember to sew every stitch with LOVE!

11 comments:

Melinda said...

wow you are amazing!! I can't believe you did that all by yourself!! It looks fabulous and he will love it!! Just hope he doesn't look at this until tomorrow!! Have fun celebrating his bday!!

Daniel & Shandi said...

DAAANNNGGGG!! That's so cool. Nice job!!!! I hope he loves it.

Lanae said...

Look at you go!!! That is an awesome quilt!

Adam & Michelle Gooch said...

Whit! I just love you! You are so funny...and it's funny because I'm actually in the process of doing a levi quilt right now...and I have never sewn, so it should be interesting. But yours looks AWESOME! He's going to love it...you are such a good wife!

Brad & Emily said...

Amen to what Michelle said. I agree completely. Your post is so cute. You're a go-getter. I love it. Tell Jess Happy Belated B-day for me...and tell him Happy Birthday Month, too. :)

Jackie Norris said...

Wow Whit! I'm super impressed! I've never attempted anything like it.

Sorry you were in so much pain! Who knew sewing could hurt so bad?

scott and jessica doman said...

you are quite the sewer! geez good job! happy bday to jess

Joseph and Lauren said...

I am so impressed! That quilt has LOVE written all over it. I am sure Jess absolutly loved it. I can tell you two have a lot of love for eachother! You make a darling couple.

Felicia said...

What a SWEET WIFE!! That really is love. I have had some sewing projects for Cregg and I remember making a "clean up plan" since Cregg could be coming down the road as he called (or coming in the door to my surprise!). But I've never done anything this big. I hope we get to see you guys soon!!

Natalie said...

Way to go!!!! I am so impressed. Those homemade projects always take longer than you think - huh? I was up until 3 am two Christmases ago with a "little" sewing project. Way to stick it out 'til the end!

Sharlene and Matt said...

i think your blog is my favorite blog to read! you crack me up! GOOD JOB!! did jess like his blanket? he better. next time get people to help you cut and sew and stuff! like girls night out project. it looks so good. you amaze me.