Daisypath Anniversary Years Ticker

Tuesday, January 20, 2009

Make Your Home a Food-Filled Ark

Over the past few months now, Jess and I have been working tremendously hard on gathering our food storage and supplies in case of an emergency. Well, actually we have been doing this more because the prophet has asked us to. Last month, we took our first trip down to the cannery and had quite the experience trying to learn the process of canning dry pack foods. It is a tough job to try and do the calculations for how much a small family like ours needs, but it has been fun and Jess and I have really bonded throughout the process.



Jess brought home a bunch of shelves to set up down in our basement, and a few weekends ago, we stayed up late into the night cleaning off the shelves and organizing the supplies that we already have. We almost have the amount of water we need, and are getting close on the amount of food to last us three months in case something were to happen and we could not get to the stores (or they were empty). I cannot describe the amount of peace I have felt over the last few weeks because Jess and I are doing what the Lord wants us to.



I have been trying to learn many different trades so that I can be of more use if there were an emergency or natural disaster. Learning how to REALLY sew has become one of them, as well as cooking. (a real challenge for me .... at times) So I have decided to learn how to make bread. The amount of wheat you are supposed to have for a year's supply is insane, but we are doing it because that is what has been asked of us. So I have decided, if I'm going to have a ton of wheat, I might as well learn how to bake something with it. I am going to be taking classes at Kitchen Kneads on Saturdays, and if anyone would like to join me, lemme know! =0)



I took my Aunt's advice on a few things about food storage and decided I was going to put them to use. First, every time I go to the grocery store, I am going to buy two of everything I need. This can get expensive at times, but then when I run out of something I need when I'm cooking, I have another of the item downstairs. Secondly, Jess and I are going to be using the money we get from our tax return each year towards food storage instead of buying some new toy or vacationing.

The reason for this post is because I wanted to share a link for Food Storage tips that has come in very handy for me lately. Maybe some of you will benefit from it, and hopefully for any of you who have not started your food storage, this might inspire you to start! =)

You can click on the link below for advice and helpful hints when creating the ark within your home... food storage!!

http://foodstoragemadeeasy.net/

6 comments:

Daniel & Shandi said...

That is awesome...good for you guys! That is something I need to do. It's one of those things I keep thinking about but never do. I'll get it done soon. :) keep your fingers crossed. **I love your new "main" picture. dang cute**

Lanae said...

I know, we'll just come to your house if anything happens. Wanna store some for us too? Just kidding!!! Tom went a little crazy in panic mode last year and we've got a bunch of stuff. I wouldn't let him buy anything that we won't eat though. Even if it is recommended. Just a waste of money!

Brad & Emily said...

Whit--we've been doing the same thing! My mom has a really easy, really tasty wheat bread recipe if you're interested. She just barely taught me how to make it so that Brad and I can put our wheat to use, too.

Jackie Norris said...

Thanks for the tips, I can definitely use them! I'm impressed you guys are so on top of it. Good for you!

Adam & Michelle Gooch said...

Whit I just love you! You guys are so cute! And thats awesome what your doing...we're slowly working up our food storage. Adam is applying all over in Utah for jobs...I would love it if we lived there! Then you me and Mary could have our own little Fennell's wives club. I feel like I haven't seen you forever! So ya...if you guys hear of any good jobs...don't be afraid to let us know :)

Bryan and Karalee said...

Good for you guys! Getting your food storage can get way expensive, but it is so worth it. The feeling you have knowing that you have not only done what has been asked of you, but that you are ready incase of anything is so great.