Daisypath Anniversary Years Ticker

Friday, November 27, 2009

Razzleberry Pies


Wednesday night my mom helped me make her famous razzleberry pies to take to the in-laws house for Thanksgiving. I am soooo glad my mom taught me how to make these, they are the best pies EVER and now I won't have to beg her to make them for me, I can do it on my own!
We made the pie crust from scratch, which is actually really easy to do!

My mom showing me how to make the top layer. (yes I know - my apron is stylin')

Razzleberry Pie:
Pie Dough:
6 rounded cups flour (Unbleached)
3 cups butter flavored Crisco
3 tsp salt
1 1/2 c water
Mix flour, shortening and salt with fingers until it resembles a crumb mixture.
Add water and mix.


Razzleberry Pie Filling:
5 cups water
3 1/2 cups sugar
1 package frozen raspberries
1 package frozen blackberries
1 package frozen boysenberries
**Sometimes you can't find all of these berries so you can replace it with 1-2 large packages of mixed frozen berries.
3 rounded cups of berry pie tone (Must buy at Kitchen Kneads which is now located at 30th and Grant Ave. in Ogden. It comes in a package --get a package that has at least enough for 3 rounded cups)
Bring water and sugar to a boil. Add package of frozen blackberries, and bring to a boil again. Thicken with pie tone that has been diluted with water. After thick take off heat and add frozen boysenberries and frozen raspberries. Remember that it needs to be thicker than what you really want before you take off the heat because the moisture in the frozen boysenberries and raspberries with thin it down a little.
Bake pies on the lowest rack in the oven. Put cookie sheet under the pie to catch any spillage. Bake pies at 375 degrees for 1 hour or until pie shakes loose.
Give frozen pies an extra ten minutes.

The finished product.

** Hint: You can add about 1 tbsp of half & half and probably about a tbsp of sugar on top of the pie right before putting it in the oven. This helps it to come out with a golden crust and the sugar gives it a nice shine on top. Just spread the cream around the pie crust with your fingers evenly and then sprinkle the sugar across the top.
It was so nice to spend some time with my mom although it was a little awkward because we had to video tape the entire process for my mom's new company: http://www.yourfamilypi.com/. If you sign up to be a member on her website, which is free, then you can watch the video tutorial on how to make these, it's about 15 mins long. So thats where these pictures came from, but I also wanted to share this yummy recipe for anyone who loves Razzleberry Pie! Mmmm!

2 comments:

Jackie Norris said...

Wow, very impressive! Looks yummy!

Natalie said...

Yum! I love Razzleberry Pie!!!